A kitchen remodel is one of the most popular and rewarding home remodeling options. From spacious kitchen islands and farmhouse features, to luxury stone countertops and smart home appliances, the options available to increase the value, beauty, and functionality of your kitchen are seemingly endless.
If you have been considering a kitchen remodel for your home, you’ve probably been thinking about how much a kitchen remodel will cost.
The cost of a kitchen remodel can vary greatly depending on variables like layout, features, and quality of the installation. Here’s a look into what you can expect to pay for your Pittsburgh kitchen remodel.
Average Cost of a Kitchen Remodel
According to the 2022 Cost vs. Value report from Remodeling Magazine, Pittsburgh homeowners can expect to pay $84,281 for a midrange major kitchen remodel, and $163,825 for an upscale major kitchen remodel.
Factors that Influence the Cost of a Kitchen Remodel
Not all kitchens are created equal. The features, finishes, and functionalities that you add to your kitchen remodel will ultimately determine the final cost.
The following factors will have a significant impact on your kitchen remodel:
Kitchen Layout and Structure
Changing your kitchen layout and structure can add functional space for cooking, cleaning and storage needs.
- Layout—If you plan to move your sink, oven, dishwasher, or other appliances to a new location, consider the cost of re-locating the electrical, water, and gas lines.
- Structure—The removal of walls, windows, doors, or the addition of space to your kitchen will impact your remodel’s final cost.
Even though changes to your kitchen layout and structure may be costly, the investment in your kitchen space will be worth the comfortability and functionality that it offers to you and your family in the long run.
Action Builders specializes in complicated structural projects. If you want to open a wall or add an addition to your kitchen, we can do it! We have successfully taken out many load-bearing walls and have even done additions as short as 5’ off the house, which can typically get a homeowner a nice island and better kitchen layout.
Kitchen cabinets usually consume about a fourth of your kitchen remodeling budget; however, it is worth the cost to invest in high-quality cabinets that will stay in great shape for years to come.
There are three types of kitchen cabinets: stock cabinets, semi-custom cabinets, and custom cabinets.
- Stock cabinets provide the best value for homeowners on a tight remodeling budget. They are available in limited sizes, styles, colors, and finishes.
- Semi-custom cabinets offer more styles and features than stock cabinets. They are a great option for custom features like molding, roll-out shelves, and specialty finishing techniques without the price tag of custom cabinets.
- Custom cabinets are the most expensive cabinetry option but offer the most customizability. Cabinet designers can create any cabinet shape, size, or style to achieve the exact vision you have for your kitchen remodel. At Action Builders, we are glad to work with a custom cabinet maker that can make each one fit perfectly into your space!
Countertop Size and Material
The countertop material and size of your countertops can significantly impact the overall cost of your kitchen remodel.
Here is the average price per square foot of a few popular countertop options recommended by HGTV to help you determine what works best for your budget.
- Granite looks great, is low-maintenance, and offers excellent value at $50–200 per square foot.
- Marble is a classic, high-end countertop choice that costs $125–250 per square foot.
- Quartz is an engineered stone that is easier to maintain and more affordable than marble or granite. It costs $100–150 per square foot.
- Butcher Block wooden countertops are rapidly increasing in popularity and can cost anywhere between $35–200.
Most homes already have an oven, microwave, refrigerator, and dishwasher. Many homeowners choose to add handy appliances like double ovens, large stovetops, beverage coolers, trash compactors, and smart home appliances to their kitchen remodels.
Quality of Installation and Construction
The quality of your kitchen remodel is perhaps the most significant cost factor because it can have lasting repercussions. If you choose a low-cost contractor, you will likely experience the unpleasant effects of a low-quality installment down the road.
Instead, choose skilled contractors committed to a high standard of quality who will complete your kitchen remodel with professional expertise and care. These contractors will cost more upfront, but they will save you time and money in the future.
Save Money with the Design-Build Method
The design-build method is a construction project that is completed with a single point of contact for homeowners.
The design-build process benefits your kitchen remodeling budget in the following ways:
- Earlier cost estimate—Because your project’s cost is determined as the design is created, it can be tweaked before construction begins to maximize your budget.
- Innovate design solutions—When your designer and construction crew are on the same page, they can create innovative and sound solutions that are more cost-effective.
- Budget-focused—Since your design and construction team are working within the same budget, you can rest assured that they will set parameters to stay within the budget.
Ready for Your Kitchen Remodel?
We understand that it can be challenging to determine which features and functionalities you should add to the budget for your beautiful new kitchen remodel.
Our design-build team at Action Builders can offer our ideas and experience to help bring your vision for your kitchen space to life. We don’t shy away from the complicated home projects — we enjoy them! When we can deliver a more functional home for you, we are glad to take challenging layouts on!
Contact us today for a free consultation!