If you are considering a bathroom remodel for your Pittsburgh home, you are probably looking forward to adding beauty and functionality to your bathroom space. However, between labor cost, materials, and amenity upgrades, it can be overwhelming to determine the cost of your bathroom remodel.
Here is a realistic cost estimate and some essential cost factors to consider to help your bathroom remodel with Action Builders stay within budget:
Average Cost of a Bathroom Remodel
According to the 2020 Cost vs. Value report from Remodeling Magazine, Pittsburgh homeowners can expect to pay $21,044 for a midrange bathroom remodel and $66,317 for an upscale bathroom remodel.
A midrange bathroom remodel includes the basics—a standard bathtub and toilet, ceramic tiles, and a plain countertop. An upscale bathroom remodel might consist of elegant stone countertops, high-quality faucets, custom cabinetry, a soaking tub, and a therapeutic shower.
The type of bathroom you are remodeling will impact the overall cost of your project. Here are three of the most common types of bathrooms:
Master Suite Bath
A master suite bath (also known as an ensuite) is a full-sized bathroom connected to a master bedroom and is typically equipped with a toilet, bathtub, shower, and sink.
Jack and Jill Bath
A Jack and Jill bathroom is a full-sized bathroom situated between two bedrooms and easily accessible to both—popular for children to share.
Hall Bath or Powder Room
A hall bathroom or powder room is typically situated on the first floor of a multi-story home and offers easy access to a toilet and sink.
Factors that Influence the Cost of a Bathroom Remodel
Aside from the type of bathroom you are remodeling, here are a few key factors that may influence the cost of your bathroom remodel.
Size & Layout
Changing your bathroom’s size or layout can maximize your space and achieve the look you want for your bathroom.
- Size—Expanding your bathroom can be beneficial if you plan to use the space to relax or want to add features like a soaking tub or extra sink.
- Layout—Adding or removing walls or relocating your shower, toilet, or sinks will add to your project’s overall cost, but will allow for more intuitive use.
Even though changes to your bathroom size and layout may be costly, the investment in your bathroom space will be worth the comfort and functionality that it offers to you and your family in the long run.
Replacing the flooring during your bathroom remodel can have a drastic impact on the overall price—ranging anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Homeowners should keep in mind that they will not only have to pay for the replacement flooring itself but also the cost of labor to remove the old flooring.
When replacing your flooring, it’s crucial to choose a water-resistant material that can withstand significant wear and tear. A few popular bathroom flooring options include engineered wood, vinyl sheets, ceramic tiles, or glass tiles.
Cabinets and Countertops
Cabinets and countertops account for a significant amount of your bathroom space. Therefore, the material you use for each can significantly impact your bathroom remodel cost.
- Countertops—Popular countertop materials include tile, natural stone (soapstone, limestone, granite, marble), and quartz. Tile countertops are typically more budget-friendly, ranging from $2 to $15 per square foot, whereas quartz countertops are a pricier option, ranging from $115 to $200 per square foot.
- Cabinets—The number and type of cabinets you prefer will affect your bathroom’s overall cost. For instance, choosing stock cabinets is the most budget-friendly option; however, these cabinets are not customizable.. On the other hand, custom cabinets provide unlimited customizability, but at an elevated price point.
Plumbing and Electrical Work
Your bathroom remodel will require significant plumbing and electrical work if you plan to re-arrange your bathroom layout.
- Plumbing—Moving your shower, bathtub, toilet, or sink to a new location will likely require the plumbing system’s layout to change. If you’re worried about exceeding your remodel budget with plumbing costs, communicate your price expectations to your bathroom remodeler so that you can work together to find a budget-friendly layout for your bathroom.
- Electrical Work —Relocating electrical fixtures like outlets can be costly because of the price of materials, supplies, and labor costs necessary to rewire your bathroom. Even though electrical work may be expensive, it is worth it to know that you and your family are safe to use the tools and appliances in your bathroom.
Save Money with the Design-Build Method
The design-build method is a construction approach that encourages fluid communication between the design team and the construction team. Unlike the design-bid method, the design-build method ensures your project will stay in budget and exceed your expectations.
The design-build process benefits your bathroom remodeling budget in the following ways:
- Earlier cost estimate – Because your project’s cost is determined as the design is created, you can make adjustments before construction begins to maximize your budget.
- Innovate design solutions – Your designer and construction team work together to develop cost-effective solutions.
- Budget-focused – You can rest assured that your design team and construction team will collaborate to set parameters to stay within your budget.
Ready for Your Bathroom Remodel?
The cost of a bathroom remodel can be intimidating, so it is vital to have a professional who you can rely on to honor the budget and vision you have created for your bathroom remodel.
Our design-build team at Action Builders can offer our ideas and experience to help you create your dream space within your budget.