Every area of your home can serve a detailed function. Discover how to maximize each inch of your space during a large-scale home renovation.
Moving or Removing Load-Bearing Walls
Renovations:First Floor Renovation, Second Story Addition, Large Kitchen & Great Room, New Second-Story Master Suite, Hall Bath Renovation
Areas: Mt. Lebanon, USC, South Hills, North Hills, Sewickley, Squirrel Hill, Mt. Washington
Load-Bearing Wall Challenges During the Home Renovation Process
As much as you love your home, there may come a time when you find that the current layout no longer functions for your family. It’s frustrating when you don’t want to leave your home, but you don’t know how to create the space you desire.
Some of your challenges might include:
- Small dark, rooms
- A cramped living area
- A less than functional kitchen
- A master bedroom and bathroom needing updated
- Two rooms that need to be joined to create an open floor plan
After you have reached out to a contractor to expand or remodel your home, they may come up against a load-bearing wall that will require removal or moving. You’ve probably been told that such a project is impossible. Most contractors won’t take on this type of endeavor. A load-bearing wall supports the weight of the floor or roof structure above it. So how can you tell if a wall is load-bearing?
It is probably load-bearing if:
- It’s perpendicular to your basement or attic joists
- It’s directly connected to the foundation of your house
- It has posts, supports, or other walls directly above it
Action Builders Provides Home Renovation Solutions for Load-Bearing Walls
Contrary to what you might have been told, it is possible to remove a load-bearing wall with the help of an experienced contractor. At Action Builders, we are experts at removing load-bearing walls as part of a remodeling or home addition project, without compromising the structural integrity of your home. We can help achieve an open concept room with a flush beam to maximize your view without posts or drop beams in the line of sight. While other contractors shy away from these challenges, it is our specialty niche!
Action Builders removed a load-bearing dining room wall to create an open kitchen floor plan for this client
Here are some ways we can improve your home by removing a load-bearing wall:
- Create a better flow
- Make an improved entertaining area
- Create a great room
- Turn two small rooms into one big room
- Create a larger master suite
- Make room for a kitchen island
Regardless of what changes you seek, Action Builders can provide a solution. After employing a thorough consultation process, we will create a plan that falls within your budget, maintains the structural integrity of your home, and gives you the home of your dreams. Schedule a free consultation today!
Need more information about home additions and interior remodeling before pursuing a project?
See our Addition and Remodeling Guides to learn:
- Why hiring a design-builder is in your best interest
- Top projects that solve the biggest problems for Pittsburgh homes
- Budget and planning tips to get the best outcome for whole-home renovations or additions